Wednesday, September 21, 2011



So I stumbled on this like years ago but I still love this version of Nirvana's Smells like Teen Spirit. I've been in kinda a Nirvana mood ever since I picked up the latest issue of Billboard with Grunge on the cover. I guess Nevermind is being reissued on CD and in a box set soon. Not that it matters to me. I can't even remember the last time I listen to a CD. My short attention span tells me to go to my dads Pandora account to listen to music.
So anyway the reason I posted this video is because I want to talk about how you can really sell a song, and do it totally your own way. Which is really a metaphor for music in general. Making your own rules along the path you choose to take. Tori Amos voice is so haunting and the feminine perspective on a very male rage song is interesting and unique. I wonder if she tried to be as awesome at this song as she is.
So I sit at my piano and try to play these Basshunter songs I've got stuck in my head. Or I go to my acoustic guitar and try to cover Taylor Swift. I'm doing this just for fun, but maybe it helps me think and write outside the box. Like an exorcise to help me push further into my long lost creativity. I just play this shit because I love singing it. Probably will never do it live, and definitely would not attempt to record these covers because that would just be vile. But Tori Amos singing Smells Like Teen Spirit is inspiration to go and do my own thing within a genre that I didn't create or embrace when I wuz younger.
So instead of using all of my time physically playing an instrument, I've committed myself to getting on the computer and composing some Techno tracks in my FL Studio 9. Its a totally different world for me, but I need to embrace another experience. I may not be very savvy with the computer but I'll figure it out as I go along, and if I don't I'll just make up my own rules for the kind of Techno music I might someday release.

No comments: